Having and growing an email subscriber list is crucial for those aiming to build their business offering and can bring many benefits.
The benefits of having an email list allow direct connections between the customer and the consumer, and you can cater to a much wider audience. Not only that, but it is also a lower cost per lead and is easily shareable.
In this article, we will discuss the following factors on how you can grow your email subscriber list ethically and effectively.
What is an email list?
Having an email list is one of the most valuable assets for your business. An email list is a collection of potential and current customer email addresses businesses can use to send regular marketing emails.
These emails could include the latest newsletters, articles, and regular updates about the business and can also contain exclusive promotional offers- all while giving the recipient a choice to sign up. This is called opting in or subscribing.
When wanting to encourage people to subscribe to your email list, you need to make sure the process is as straightforward as possible. Readers don’t want to waste time searching and hunting down the sign-up icon and putting it in several places throughout the emailer will improve your chances.
Another straightforward way of getting users to subscribe is adding a CTA (call to action) tab, which makes it simple to follow and offers less chance to interrupt the user’s reading experience, leaving an overall positive and effective impression.
Use social media
With 59% of the population utilising social media, it’s no wonder it’s a popular branding tool to use. As a brand, it’s a great way to engage with current and new followers and elevate its offering to encourage users to sign up for the monthly newsletter if they like what they see on your social platforms.
You can also make a start on converting any existing followers you have into subscribers, and the key to success is to create interesting and shareable content. If users enjoy your content, they are more likely to sign up for the emailers.
Do’s and don’ts
- DO: Have a clear explanation as to why someone should subscribe and what they can get in return.
- DO: Ask yourself do you like landing on a website and instantly getting a pop-up message to subscribe.
- DO: Talk about your email list on all social media platforms or any other places where you create/ share content.
- DO: Focus on sending valuable emails that people will want to share and engage with. When writing emails just think ‘would this be something worth talking about?’
- DON’T: Use vague and generic messages.
- DON’T: Try and convert every website visitor into a subscriber by spamming them with pop-up after pop-up.
- DON’T: Spam every platform asking people to join your emailing list. Just remind them what they can get from signing up for emails.
How to encourage more signups
There are numerous ways to encourage people to subscribe to your email list. The most obvious technique is to be likeable. If people don’t enjoy the content you post they won’t engage any further. Introducing subscriber-only offers or sneak peeks into the business will leave non-subscribers feeling as though they are missing out and will want to see more.
Running contests, giveaways, and supplying special offers or discounts will encourage people to sign up for either an instant discount or an automatic entry to a contest or giveaway.
Another tip to be aware of is when writing a newsletter, it’s crucial to keep it short and sweet. Subscribers don’t want to be overwhelmed with lots of information to take it. Let them enjoy the experience.